How do I fix employees that show up in the wrong (or two) LEAs/Charter Schools?

Frequently, employees that transfer from another PSU are not updated in their former payroll system and the Staff UID System in a timely manner.  If you find that the Profile of an employee still lists information from a former LEA or Charter School (e.g. LEA Code and/or School Codes), you will need to contact that PSU and have them update their Payroll System and the Staff UID System. Contacts for PSUs can be found within the NC EDDIE system on the NCDPI website at

Steps to Inactivate Staff at Previous PSU:

  • The employee's payroll record at the former PSU needs to be marked "Inactive".
  • The record needs to be uploaded to the Staff UID System, which will mark the UID record at the former district as "Inactive".
  • The following business day the old data will no longer be pulled into the IAM Service and "old" information should disappear from the user's IAM Service Profile.